It was now Sunday, Tammuz 15, 5723 (July 7, 1963). The day of the wedding had arrived. The Rebbe was at the ohel today. We knew that the Rebbe would be back before 5:00 to have the chupah on time. We were well aware that the Rebbe must not be kept waiting. The Rebbe had said 5 o’clock, and 5 o’clock on the dot it had to be.

For mincha, Shmuel got to use the Rebbe’s siddur as was customary.

Before the kabolas ponim, we took Hindy to visit Rebbetzin Chana.

At 3:45, the kabolas ponim was in full swing. Everything was going according to plan. A few minutes before 5:00, the Rebbe returned from the ohel, where he had spent most of the day fasting. Rabbi Chodakov assumed and surmised that the chupah would now take place after mincha (later than five). He rushed into the Rebbe’s study to obtain confirmation of this - and he rushed straight out - shouting that the chupah will take place immediately, as arranged.

As the clock struck the hour, precisely at 5:00 p.m., the Rebbe came through the doorway of 770 and walked down the few steps toward the canopy. The chupah was erected in the center of the pathway leading from the door of 770 to the sidewalk. At exactly the same moment, Hindy and her entourage walked up the few lower steps towards the chupah, under which she and the Rebbe met at the exact same moment. Shmuel was already there waiting.

The parents and grandparents were holding candles, and it was our intention, as well as our duty, to walk around Shmuel seven times. There were some bridesmaids “somewhere” (I saw them later in the photographs!). However, where was the choson? It was a terrible and fearful task, circling the choson pushing our way through solid masses of bochurim and men who all wanted to be near the Rebbe at this historic event. I was covered with candle wax and at least once we were actually standing outside the chupah!

We did see the Rebbe standing very erect under the chupah. Everyone of course held the Rebbe in reverence and great awe; otherwise, I am afraid the Rebbe would have not been under the chupah either. (Of course, no such reverence was accorded the choson and kallah, or the mechutonim). It was of course a small price to pay for such a tremendous honor and privilege of the Rebbe being messader kiddushin.

The Rebbe recited the blessings and then all of the sheva brochos and the ceremony was over. The time was nearly 5:15 and Shmuel and Hindy were now man and wife.

By 5:15 when the area of the chupah was already deserted, it began to pour torrential rain! If the chupah had been delayed for even a few minutes, everyone would have been drenched. We were very thankful to the Rebbe for being brief and starting the ceremony punctually.

In due course we all arrived at the hall for the dinner and dance. Everyone sat at their allotted tables, men on one side and women at the other side of the mechitza (partition).

The hamotzie was recited over the bread, and waiters served the first course, the hors d’oeuvres. Suddenly the orchestra, the band, exploded into a lively and exhilarating tune, which compelled everyone to join in the dancing.

The tables became deserted, the hors d’oeuvres left on the plates, untouched; and with trumpets blaring, we entered into an era of non-stop, uninterrupted dancing for the next four hours.

After twenty minutes or so the waiters came along and took away the hors d’oeuvres and placed the next course, the fish, onto the table. Twenty minutes after that, the fish was removed and soup substituted. So it went on until the dessert and the coffee were served and removed.

I did mange to swallow a few mouthfuls of food in between my dances. I noticed that one or two others did the same. But the music was so exciting and compelling that nobody cared to miss even one moment of the dancing; but it was very annoying and aggravating to me to see all this food, for which I was paying good money, just simply not being eaten.

There was no doubt that all our guests were having a jolly good time. I did my share and I believe Roselyn also danced well and continuously in the women’s department.

At one point, I was dancing with Mendel Shemtov, who wears a seemingly small brown beard. Well suddenly, I found that my partner had grown a long bright red beard, which reached past his waist – unbelievable!

There was not one speech, not one word of Torah, and it took a very great effort on my part to ensure that we had a minyan to bentch and say the sheva brochos!