During that winter, I was experiencing difficulties in my business affairs, and I felt it necessary to travel to New York to consult, face-to-face, with the Rebbe about these matters.

I used to write to the Rebbe on a fairly frequent basis and I would receive a letter from the Rebbe a few times a month.

I sent a telegram to the Rebbe, in which I asked to call next week to discuss the general situation.

I knew that the Rebbe does not accept phone calls. I was requesting a personal call to the Rebbe, not a phone conversation. The Rebbe's secretary misunderstood my intentions and sent me the following response:

I am directed to acknowledge receipt of your cable, but the meaning of the words “May I call next week [to] discuss [the] general situation” is not quite clear.

If your intention is [to] make a telephone call, you are probably aware that the Rebbe shlita does not generally accept telephone calls.

Thankfully, my true intentions came to light in due course. In the post script the secretary had written:

Since writing the above, Rabbi B. Shemtov just flew in. Checking with him as to your intention, we gather that you meant a personal call. When I brought this to the Rebbe's shlita attention, the reply was that he is always pleased to meet with such friends as your good self. He wondered, however, that, unless there are compelling reasons, whether the same purpose cannot be attained via correspondence so as to save you the effort, time and expense?

I certainly felt there were very “compelling reasons” to make this trip. I was glad that Rabbi Shemtov had understood that I had not considered talking to the Rebbe on the phone, which I was well aware was not an option. And so, I made reservations to fly into New York, the following week.

I arrived to New York on  Adar I 29, 5722 (March 5, 1962). There were such fierce gale-force 60 mph winds when we were landing, the sea was mountainous. We nevertheless, thank G‑d, made a perfect landing. Avrohom, who was now studying in New York, picked me up from the airport in a borrowed car.

I had an appointment with the Rebbe for late that night and I spent a wonderful day with Avrohom, including a short nap in his dormitory room.

I entered the Rebbe's room for yechidus at 2:00 in the morning and remained with the Rebbe until 3:20.

I assumed the Rebbe well recalled that at our first yechidus, a little over three years ago, in 5719 (1959), the Rebbe had told me, that for the first three visits to him, I could and should sit during yechidus.

This being my fourth visit to New York, the Rebbe did not offer me a seat and I, of course, gladly remained standing, I did, however, shake the Rebbe's hand, as in the past. So, I am now, I should hope, well on my way to becoming a chossid.

Rabbi Shemtov had asked me to request of the Rebbe an answer for Rabbi K.R. in England who was very sick. The Rebbe said we should hear “gutte besuros (good news) this month.”

I mentioned to the Rebbe that a Dayan in Manchester was interested in hearing from the Rebbe about some changes the Beis Din were implementing.

The Rebbe's reply, “He should look in Choshen Mishpot regarding the hours of a beis din and the Dayonim.”

The Rebbe wished our upcoming Purim affair every success.

We talked about the business difficulties I was experiencing. The Rebbe gave me invaluable practical advice and encouragement. I left the Rebbe's presence, well assured in the Rebbe's brochos, that, please G‑d, there would be substantial improvements.

I was staying in a hotel in Manhattan and although I did not get to bed until 5:00 in the morning, I was already up at 6:00. I davened shacharis in 770 and actually received the third aliyah, just before the Rebbe had the fourth one. (When the Torah is read on Rosh Chodesh, four people are called up.)