After Rav Huna's death, the whole Yeshivah went over to Rav Jeudah, who was dean of the Yeshivah in Pumbeditha. Out of respect to Rav Jeudah, a new dean was meanwhile not appointed in Sura to take Rav Huna's place. Two years later, Rav Jeudah died, and Rav Chisda was appointed as dean in his place. He was a disciple and colleague of Rav Huna.

When Rav founded his great Yeshiva in Sura, Rav Chisda was only two years old. Until he was thirty years old he was privileged to learn Torah in Rav's Yeshivah, but he received his major education from the greatest disciples of Rav and Samuel. When Rav Huna became dean of the Yeshivah in Sura in Rav's place, Rav Chisda was one of Rav Huna's most prominent colleagues and disciples. They respected each other very much. Once there happened a misunderstanding between them, and they both fasted for forty days and begged each other's forgiveness.

Rav Chisda married at the age of sixteen. He was one of the youngest students in Rav's Yeshivah before his marriage, but he had already attracted the attention of Rav's son-in-law, Rav Chonon bar Rovo, who gave him his daughter, Rav's grandchild, for a wife.

Rav Chisda was blessed with exceptionally fine children who became famous Torah scholars. His two daughters were also of exceptionally fine character, and they were married to the greatest Torah scholars of their time, Romi bar Chomo, and Mar Ukva bar Chomo.

Rav Chisda was at first a very poor man. He actually went hungry and, as he himself used to say, he did not eat vegetables as they used to increase his hunger. Later, however, the Almighty blessed him with riches. This did not change his mode of life, and he lived just as modestly as previously. He used to prepare fruit himself in honor of Shabbos. He used to be the first one to greet his fellow-man in the street, Jew as a non-Jew. He studied Torah day and night.

Rav Chisda was such a pious man that, as soon as he prayed for rain, he was answered immediately.

Rav Chisda was almost the same age as Rav Huna. When Rav Huna died at the age of eighty, Rav Chisda became dean of the Yeshivah at the age of eighty-two, a position he held for ten full years.

With regard to Rav Chisda's death, it is told that the Angel of Death was unable to approach him because he studied Torah continuously. The Angel of Death split a nearby cedar tree in half, and when Rav Chisda stopped learning for a moment to see what had happened, his soul went up to heaven.

Disregarding the fact that the Yeshivah in Sura continued to exist, a successor to Rav Chisda was not appointed to that position. Meanwhile, in Pumbeditha, the great Rabbah was dean, taking over Rav Jehudah's post. As long as Rav Chisda was alive, Rabbah did not assume all the duties of dean, but after Rav Chisda's death, Rabbah became the greatest recognized Torah authority in Babylon.