These easy individual tarts are an elegant appetizer for Purim or Shavuot or any other occasion. You can change around the vegetables to suit your tastes, just make sure to use vegetables that cook relatively quickly, for example: zucchini, bell peppers, cherry tomatoes, mushrooms, shallots, scallions, etc.
- 12 puff pastry squares (4x4 or 5x5 inches each)
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- ½ tsp. basil
- ½ tsp. oregano
- 1 purple onion, finely sliced
- 1 leek, cleaned, white part finely sliced
- 1 bunch asparagus, cut in 1-inch pieces
- Spinach leaves
- 1 egg
- Lightly grease two large baking pans. Lay the puff pastry squares out, six on each.
- Mix the ricotta with the spices. Smear approximately 1 tablespoon of the ricotta mixture over the center two-thirds of each square. Top with a mixture of the vegetables.
- Beat the egg and brush the edges of each piece of puff pastry.
- Bake at 400°F for 15-20 minutes.
Yields: 12 tartlettes