4 cups flour
3/4 cup sugar
1 cup margarine, softened
1 Tbsp. Orange juice
2 tsps. Baking powder
1 tsp. Vanilla extract
Pinch of salt
1 tsp. Orange rind
1 pound strawberry or apricot preserves
Preheat oven to 350°.
Grease cookie sheets.
Place all ingredients in a large mixer bowl and beat together. You may add a drop more juice or flour, depending on consistency of dough. Roll dough into a ball. Divide into four parts.
Proceed to assemble and bake according to Hamantashen illustrated.
Put a drop of food coloring into dough, for colored hamantashen, the kids will love it!
1. Prepare dough of your choice. Divide into four portions
2. On a floured board roll out each portion to about 1/8-inch thick. Using a round bicuit or cookie cutter cut 3-inch circles.
3. Place 1/2 to 2/3 teaspoon of desired filling in the center of each circle.
4. To shape into triangle, lift up right and left sides, leaving the bottom down and bring both side to meet at the center above the filling.
5. Bring top flap down to the center to meet the two sides. Pinch edges together.
6. Place on grease cookie sheet 1 inch apart and bake at 350 degree preheated oven for 20 minutes.