Here are some of my favorite images:
Sitting around a warm, crackling bonfire while leaning against the huge limb of one of the many trees in the woods.
Cuddling near the glowing fireplace in the corner of my home, surrounded by the sounds of family.
A lit fragrant candle gracing a lavish guest room in anticipation of its occupant.
The graceful glow of the Shabbat candles illuminating a long, dark Friday night.
And, driving through a Jewish neighborhood on a cold Chanukah night watching the many glowing candles in so many doorways and windows warming up the night.
What is it about fire that so enamors us?
As I sit watching each sparkling Chanukah light, and I try to absorb its message, here are some ideas that come to mind:
- it’s bright
- it keeps reaching upward, striving higher
- even while reaching upward, it stays grounded
- even a small glow brightens a heavy, gloomy blackness
- it stands tall, shining brightly irrespective of what’s around it, unaffected by the surrounding dark environment
- it provides warmth
- it can guide through the night
- it represents optimism
- each fire is so similar, yet so unique
- its glowing colors have a magnetic pull
- it’s physical, but also mystically spiritual
That’s my list. I’m sure there’s a lot more, but now it’s your turn. What is it about the glowing candle that attracts you?
Wishing each of you a happy, beautifully illuminating Chanukah, when your own inner light shines and overcomes any darkness in your life.