It’s that time of year again . . . the blogosphere has erupted with fall-inspired dishes, with a heavy propensity towards pumpkin. Pumpkin pie, pumpkin brownies, pumpkin milkshake, pumpkin bread, pumpkin everything!
Today I’m sharing my Maple-Pumpkin Ice Cream Pie with Pecan Crunch Topping. If you love fall flavors, prepare to fall in love with this dessert. You’ve got pumpkin, maple, brown sugar and pecan, with a hint of cinnamon and nutmeg.
It’s quick and easy, and presents beautifully—an great way to impress friends and family.
For the ice cream, you’ll need heavy cream, pumpkin purée, sugar, maple syrup, pumpkin pie spice and salt.
A couple of things to keep in mind:
- You can make your own pumpkin purée, or buy it canned. If you’re buying canned, make sure you buy pumpkin purée and not pumpkin pie filling. The cans are very similar, so make sure to read the label carefully. To make you own purée, boil the pumpkin until soft, then drain and mash.
- I used an ice cream machine. But if you don’t have one, there are two other methods you can use: (1) Buy a tub of good quality vanilla ice cream. Leave it out of the freezer to soften slightly (but do not let it melt completely). Blend it with the pumpkin purée, pumpkin pie spice and salt, and continue with the rest of the recipe instructions. Or, (2) beat the heavy cream until stiff. Add the sugar; mix until incorporated. Add the pumpkin purée, maple syrup, salt and pumpkin pie spice, and give a quick mix until it’s fully incorporated. Pour into pie crust, and continue with the rest of the instructions.
To make the ice cream, blend all ice cream ingredients (except the pie crust). Pour the mixture into the bowl of your ice cream machine.
Churn the ice cream until it reaches soft-serve consistency (as pictured).
Scoop the ice cream into the graham cracker pie crust and stick it in the freezer.
Meanwhile, lightly toss the topping ingredients together and spread over a baking pan in a single layer.
Bake at 375° F for approximately 5 minutes. Remove and allow the crunch to cool completely.
Take the ice cream pie out of the freezer, and sprinkle the crunch over the top. Return the pie to the freezer to firm up for several hours before serving.
Ice Cream Ingredients:
- 1 cup pumpkin purée
- 2 cups heavy cream
- ⅓ cup sugar
- ⅓ cup pure maple syrup
- ¼ tsp. pumpkin pie spice
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- 1 graham cracker pie crust
- ⅔ cup rice crispies
- 2 tbsp. margarine or butter, melted
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup pecans, roughly chopped
- ⅛ tsp. pumpkin pie spice
- ⅛ tsp. kosher salt
- Blend the pumpkin purée, heavy cream, sugar, maple syrup, pumpkin pie spice and salt.
- Pour into the bowl of your ice cream machine and churn until ice cream has the texture of soft serve.
- Transfer ice cream into the graham cracker crust and freeze.
- Toss all the topping ingredients together lightly. Spread topping out, one layer deep, over a baking pan, and bake at 375° F for about 5 minutes.
- Take topping out of the oven and let cool fully.
- Sprinkle topping over the ice cream and return to freezer. Freeze overnight before serving.
Are you a pumpkin fan? What’s your favorite fall dish? Leave a comment and let us know!