After a month of Jewish holidays—and all the eating that inevitably goes along with them, I'm sure lots of us are ready for some lighter eating. This vibrant, delicious salad will leave you feeling healthy and satisfied. You can also add some chopped chicken or flaked fish over the top to make it more filling.
You'll need purple cabbage, parsley, red apple, sunflower seeds and slivered almonds. The colors along are enough to entice the palate—look how beautiful! Toss the ingredients together and set aside while you prepare the dressing.
Make sure to wash and check the cabbage and parsley for bugs.
The dressing requires tahini—the kind you find in the refrigerator section. Or, if you buy the paste, buy the seasoned one, prepare it according to the directions and then measure out 6 tablespoons to use for the dressing and continue from there.
Mix the tahini with salt, honey, lemon juice and garlic powder. Use immediately or store in the fridge for later. It keeps well for a good 2 weeks.
Drizzle the dressing over the salad immediately before serving.
- 1.5 lbs. purple cabbage, shredded
- ¼ cup loosely packed parsley
- 1 red apple (I prefer Fuji or Gala), sliced
- 3 tbsp. roasted, salted sunflower seeds
- 3 tbsp. honeyed almond slivers (or whole almonds if you can't find the slivered ones)
- 6 tbsp. tahini*
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp. honey
- 1/8 tsp. garlic powder
*NOTE: This dressing calls for prepared tahini—the kind you would find in the refrigerator section.
- Toss salad ingredients together.
- Combine dressing ingredients in a small bowl.
- Immediately before serving, drizzle dressing over salad. Mix.
What are your go-to healthy meals?